| Lady Irwin College Library exists to supports undergraduate and postgraduate teaching and research in the field of Home Science. Having a specialized collection in the area of Home Science and its allied areas the library pursue higher value of knowledge, creativity and wisdom and empowers its users to be connected with literature published / available in the field through networks. Founded in 1930's, today the library has grown into a separate building covering 500 sq meters of area with one and a half storey building located in the premises of the college and is equipped with 120 seating capacity.
The mission of Lady Irwin College Library is to provide:
- State-of-art library and information services conducive for academic enrichment as well as social and personal development of students, faculty and staff of the college;
- Providing resources (printed and electronic) for the courses offered by the college;
- Providing strong database for academics and research in field of Home Science and allied areas.
- Online cyber linkage with worldwide national and international networks and universities and research institutions.
Library is housed in a separate building constructed in 1958, which has one and a half storey structure. In 2009–10 library building was renovated with latest ICT requirements and keeping the ambience of its heritage structure and making it energy efficient. The renovated building was inaugurated on 13th April, 2010.
The Library is fully automated and equipped with:
- 120 seating capacity
- Air Conditioned Conference Hall
- Fiber Optic 24x7 connectivity
- Wi fi enabled building
- INTERNET work station with 40 computers
Founded with few gifted books, library has grown today, with more than 52,500 published documents with above 200 electronic documents. As on date, library is subscribing 117 journals of academic nature published in India and overseas. It has 2,300+ research works (Dissertations and Thesis) and more than 7,500 bound back files of periodicals. The college library is known for its quality collection amongst Home Scientists nationally and internationally. Major areas of its collection are: Food and Nutrition, Human Development & Childhood Studies, Fabric and Apparel Science, Resource Management & Design Applications, Development Communication and Extension, Dietetics, Education and Special Education. The other areas of collection include: Food Technology, Food Science, Human Growth and Personality Development, Children with Special Needs, Gender Studies, Woman Studies, Apparel Design, Fashion Designing, Sociology, Psychology, Communication, Management, Applied Science etc.
Lady Irwin College Library keep pace with modern technology. Since 2005, library is fully automated with all its subsystems and uses LIBSYS (Ver 5.0) Library Management Software on RHEL (Red Hat Enterprise Linux) Operating System. Database of all Library holdings (books, periodicals, and research works) is available on OPAC (Online Public Access Catalogue) on Library LAN for searches by Author, Title, Keywords etc. OPAC is also available on INTERNET through DELNET. Bar code technology is used for circulation of documents. Library is Member of DELNET family since 2000 and gives DELNET surfing and service facilities to Faculty and Research Scholars and Students.
In 2011 library was connected on Fiber Optic and Wi Fi for INTERNET surfing. With this all DU subscribed databases, INFLIBNET, and UGC – INFONET databases are available in college for research work.
Monday to Friday 08:00 a.m. to 05:00 p.m.
Saturday 9:00 a.m. to 04:00 p.m. (Only referral services are extended on Saturday when library operates with skeletal staff).
On Saturdays, Sundays and Holidays – Falling during college vacations / holidays – library remain closed.
During stock verification period (summer vacations) library is open for limited hours notified from time to time.
All students enrolled in undergraduate and postgraduate courses, teachers and Non teaching are eligible for Library membership.
Research scholars are also enrolled as members by charging Library fee of Rs. 1,000/- per annum. Issue facilities are made available on the payment of Rs. 1,000/- as library security as well.
Outside readers are also given membership (for consultation only) at the payment of Rs. 150/- per month or Rs. 1000/- for the year.
Membership is also extended to retired faculty of the college on the payment of Rs.500/- and issuing facilities are also extended by charging Rs. 500/- as library security.
- Provision of direct access to book stacks and freedom to browse among books during specified hours in the library.
- Borrowing facilities to its members. Dissertations and Periodicals are not issued
- OPAC facilities (Online Public Access Catalogue);
- Availability of OPAC on INTERNET also through DELNET;
- Reference Services;
- Bibliographical Services;
- Fiber Optic connectivity for INTERNET surfing;
- WI FI enabled library building;
- Online search facilities of E-journals and Databases subscribed by DU, UGC- INFONET, INFLIBNET viz EBSCO; SCOPUS; J-STORE; SPRINGER; ELSEVIER; BLACKWELL; TAYLOR & FRANCIS and others.
- DELNET (Developing Library Network) connectivity & services;
- Other National and International Network Connectivity in public domain viz: GRHF; PINAKES- Subject Launch Pad; WHO, WORLD BANK, PLOS; PUBMED etc.;
- Search through other CD-ROM Digital Databases: ISID, Plan and Statistical Database; Reprographic facilities (on contractual basis).