A number of activities are organized throughout the session to provide rich experience and exposure to the student teachers. Some of them are mentioned below:
- Guest lecturers: Experts and practitioners from the fields of education, specialists in science and home science education are regularly invited to share their views with the students. Some eminent people invited by the department recently include:
- Prof. A. K. Sharma
- Prof. R Govinda
- Prof. Andre Beteille
- Prof. Anita Rampal
- Dr. Suman Kumar
- Dr. Kailash Khanna
- Dr. Saroj Yadav
- Dr. Jitendra Nagpal
- Prof. S. R. Mittal
- Dr. Hemlata
- Dr. Shanti Auluck
- Dr. Uma Tulli
- Dr. Ritu Juneja
- Mr. Subodh Kumar
- Annual lecture/ Education Meet/Conference: The department organizes an annual event /educational meet/ conference. The important areas focused in these in the previous years include:
- Adolescence Education: A Journey (2010-2011)
- Recent Initiatives In Education (2009-2010)
- Continuous and Comprehensive Education (2008-2009)
- Right To Education (2007-2008)
- Workshops: The Department regularly organizes workshops to enable student teachers to develop requisite skills. Some key areas include:
- Lesson Planning
- Use of Technology
- Evaluation strategies
- Theatre in Education
- Blended Learning
- Life skills
- Self Defense
- First Aid
- Embroidery stitches
- Awareness about Braille
- Awareness about sign language
- Auditory and Visual Perception
- Sexuality and Marriage for Persons with Mental Retardation
- Occupational Therapy
- Recreational Activities for Children with Mental Retardation
- Organizing Fairs and Exhibitions: Each year the students of the department organize various fairs and exhibitions. For the annual Diwali Mela the students prepare innovative articles (SUPW) to be exhibited in the festival. This is a highly awaited activity of the department and faculty and students from the college flock to savor delicious food on sale and purchase hand made products to brighten up their homes. This exercise of organizing melas hones the students' skills of event management as well.
- Educational trips: An important exercise undertaken with a purpose to familiarize students with ground realities. Innovative education programmes and outreach programme of schools and NGOs continue to be the focus. The recent visits include:
- Birla Vidya Mandir, Nanital
- Digantar, Jaipur
- Bodh, Alwar
- Maharni Gayatri Devi School, Jaipur
- Mother Dairy plant, Delhi
- Aryabhatta Research Institute of Observational Sciences, Nanital
- National Science Centre, New Delhi
The responsibility of managing various aspects viz. finance, travel, discipline, etc is on students. The experience and the useful insights generated go a long way in building students self confidence.
- Visual Aids, SUPW and Science Exhibition
As a part of the course the students are trained in the art of preparing diverse teaching learning material. These range from graphic teaching aids like charts, flannels, flip books to models, power points, movies and mobiles. Students also develop science and home science kits, educational games. Students of Department organize exhibitions of these products and other resource materials.
Celebration of National Days and Festivals
National days (Independence Day, Gandhi Jayanti and Republic Day) and various festivals (Teej, Raksha bandhan, Diwali, Janmashtmi, Eid, Christmas, Holi etc.) are celebrated in the department. A special assembly is organized by the students on these occasions. This enable students to learn about India's rich cultural heritage and ethos and develops a feeling the solidarity.
The students are initiated into research by involving them collaborative exercises under the guidance of the faculty. The exercise is an attempt to encourage students to generate independent responses based on the evidence generated. Such inquiry based investigations are presented by students in the form of interactive seminars.
Students of B.Ed. work for and with the community each year as a part of community outreach programme. The students have been involved with various NGO's viz. working in the area of health, education, social issues, Education varying from Early Childhood Education, Adolescence Education, Education of Women and Children living in slums, Education of Children of Craftsmen and several other areas. Some of the NGOs with whom the students have been actively involved are: Salam Balak Trust, Mobile Creches, Bal Sahyog, Butterflies, Seva Bharti and Sur Nirman. They have undertaken awareness drives, remedial teaching, advocacy campaigns, using their expertise in the field of home sciece to give demonstrations related to healthy nutritional recipes, developing useful products from waste etc. Students work with full zeal and enthusiasm and develop a commitment that continues beyond the course.
At the end of each session a placement meet is organized in the department. Schools from across Delhi are invited to recruit students from the department. This meet provides a platform for the interaction of the young teachers and their future employers. An encouraging trend of even having 2 to 3 jobs to choose from has been observed.
- Disability Day Event
Each year the students of B. Ed. Special Education conduct sensitization and awareness creating activities on World Disability Day. Posters and pamphlets regarding the nature, roles and instructional strategies regarding different disabilities are prepared by the students and are displayed across the college. Bookmarks with messages related to disability issues are made and distributed to the students of the college. Person of eminence is invited to interact with the students of the department of education. Eminent guest speakers have been Prof. Krishna Moitra, Dr. Uma Tulli and dr. U. Grover.